Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Classes so far.

Two weeks are finished and I have some initial reflections on what classes and life as a 1st semester seminary student are like.

1. There is a lot of reading and that reading can be painstakingly slow at times. Immanuel Kant's Critique of the Ontological Argument for example took me forever to read and I still don't really know what he said.

2. The readings and books that I have read so far have been great for the most part. There is immeasurable wisdom to be gleaned from most of the books. I look forward to getting into the other books to see that riches they contain. (Hopefully just not all at the same time.)

3. My professors are world class. I am still amazed that I get to study under these men and learn from their scholarship and life experiences.

4. Chapel is convicting, inspiring, and motivating. We have had chapel 3 times so far and all three have been outstanding. To hear the Word of God preached and expounded in such a powerful way is awe-inspiring and motivating.

5. At church and Sunday school I hear more teaching by Dr. Moore who is the Dean of the School of Theology and it is such a blessing to sit under his teaching.

6. Lastly, Greek is intense and requires a lot of work but I can see how it will be beneficial once I learn it. In two weeks I have had to memorize 75 vocab words. In addition to that most of the words have different ending which provide additional information based on the ending so you have to memorize those too. I am beginning to master the 24 versions of the article "the". The amazing thing is I can now understand quite a few of the words in my Greek New Testament.

All in all it has been a good start to the semester. I am looking forward to seeing what God has in store for me over the next few years. Check back soon, I plan to document things here and you can keep up to date on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment